Sunday, July 10, 2011

You guys are awesome! (and one of my favorite resources on the web)

Seriously.  I have the best readers ever!!  It's amazing to me that this new blog has gotten over 2,000 page views within the first 12 or so hours of "launching".  That is totally because of all you Montessori Journey readers heading over here to see what's up at Walnut Hill.  Thanks for visiting! 

Since I don't want to disappoint you by having nothing to say over here, I thought I'd do a quick post to share with you one of my absolute favorite resources on the web for art projects, Kathy Barbro's Art Projects for Kids.  I used her ideas quite a bit for inspiration in my Montessori classroom, and I've also used them for ideas to do with the boys here at home.  Tonight I've spent quite a while browsing her site and pinning ideas (LOVE LOVE LOVE Pinterest) to use with the boys during our upcoming school year.  I think if you click THIS LINK it will take you to my Pinterest page where you can view all my boards.  I'd love it if you'd leave me a comment to let me know if this link worked and you could view them.  I am really new to Pinterest. 
In addition, LG made a project from her site today that he is going to enter in the open class of our county fair next week.  Last year my oldest son (SC) exhibited a project he'd made using an idea from her site as well.  I'm including a photo of LG's project because I think it turned out great.  I love how innovative, yet simple Kathy's projects are.  Additionally, since I'm not a trained art teacher, I appreciate her descriptions of how to set up the projects so children can be successful.  SC, my oldest son, gets a bit frustrated when trying to draw, but I think his confidence will increase if we try some of Kathy's projects and use her suggestions.  And you know what else?  After pinning a bunch of her ideas on Pinterest, I have a strong urge to start my own art journal and try out her projects.  In fact, I think I'll do just that.  It's going to be awesome to be a homeschooler!!

OK, here's LG's Starry City Night:


I love how this turned out.  It's a bit hard to tell, but in the middle "building", he drew a balcony with a person on it.  And in front of that building he drew a motorcycle.  So even though this was kind of a "canned" art project, he put his own details into it and it is truly a unique creation.  I want to get it matted with a thick white mat and frame it with a wide black frame.  And I want it to hang on my wall forever!!  :-)

One more thing (and for some reason I can't get Blogger to format any of the text after the picture with left margin alignment.........driving me batty!)......I think that grandparents would LOVE receiving any of the projects on Kathy's site as a gift.  I already have a few in mind for my boys to make as Christmas gifts.  It's never too early to start planning for that, right?


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting and thanks so much for sharing Kathy's link! I'm really excited to see what wonderful things you and your boys do in your homeschool!

    Warmly,
    Mari-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Laura, your pinterest link worked. Love it - I'm going to have to figure out pinterest for myself, I think!

    You're going to love, LOVE homeschooling your boys. (I've got 16 years under my belt, and 'only' 13 years til my 'Crash' graduates!) I've been 'converting' more toward the Montessori style with my youngest ones, and I "met" you over at "My Montessori Journey" a couple years ago. Best wishes for your new career as Home School Mom, so glad for you.

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete